Slow food - just right.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Drying the oven



It’s a pity the oven wasn’t finished over the festive season, I could have made some slow food for the visiting family. The past week I spent firstly wetting the oven to get all the brick and cob to an even wetness, that took 3 days and secondly  I started drying out the oven with a small gas burner, which took eight days and two 9kg gas tanks.  I then removed the timber arch on the inside, very slowly, it was quite scary considering the roof properly weighed in the region of 2tons and was unfired.

When I was certain the oven was dried out well, I started with a small fire made out of large logs which smoldered the whole night thru. Next I will start increasing the size of the fire until it is well hardened, my previous oven I went as high as 600 degrees Celsius. I will post sone fotos later this evenig.

No comments:

Post a Comment